Saturday, February 5, 2011

Aidan's 6th Birthday Party

Today we had Aidan's birthday party with his friends from school. Although his birthday isn't for a few more days, we wanted to make sure that Brendan was here to celebrate with us. We had his party at a local place called "Jump Zone". It's just a huge room filled with HUGE inflatable jumpy castles. The kids had a great time and were exhausted by the end!

Planning for this party was really minimal - just send out the invitations, get RSVP's and show up with the cake. Sounds easy enough, right?? We invited all of the kids in Aidan's class - 23 kids in all. I got 2 - yup 2!!! - RSVP's. The school won't give out any information or class lists. That means that there is no way to call around and check to see if people are coming or not. I managed to find out one more kid that was coming because I waited outside Aidan's dismissal door and stalked the moms of the kids in his class. It ended up that the 3 kids that came also had brothers and sisters that I then invited. We had to pay upfront for the party and I wanted to get my money's worth - plus it was a whole lot more fun to sing happy birthday with 11 kids instead of 4!
At dinner Aidan said "We invited the whole class and only 3 people came." He refused to discuss it any further but at bedtime I asked him how that made him feel. He looked at me for a second and said, "You know, all the people I really wanted to be there came. Joseph, Madison, Riley and his brother Eric - yeah I really wanted Eric to be there. Emmy and Aoife too. That's all I really wanted." Wise beyond his years...
Opening presents - it didn't take long :) Emmy is hiding behind Aidan.Going up the down:

Aoife in the little kids bouncy castle:
Aoife playing in the toddler area:
Coming out through the tunnel:

Aoife made it through!Those are Aidan's feet climbing up high - he moved so fast the entire time I couldn't get a good picture!!


Singing Happy Birthday:
Tron Legacy cake:Party favors - I made 24 just in case all the people who didn't RSVP actually showed up. Thank goodness I didn't buy stuff for goody bags!!

5 comments:

Sue said...

Aidan is truly a gem! Give him a hug and kiss from us. Can't wait to see you all again. Much love, Mom

Matthew, Eve, Noah, Noelle, and Brooke said...

Happy 6th Birthday to Aidan! He is such a sweetie. Glad that his good friends showed up at the party :) It looks like he had a great time!

Rains Family said...

Happy birthday to Aidan!! I can't believe he is 6 already!! WOW! I am glad he is so wise and was happy with the way his party turned out. What a COOL cake!! I have no idea what Tron Legacy is, but it looks awesome! Also glad that the whole family got to share this birthday with him!

Anonymous said...

Hi!! My son Aiden is turning 6 in June!! We were googling Tron Legacy cakes and found pictures of your Aidan's cake!! My son is in love with it!! He made me save it to my desktop so that he can look at it whenever he pleases!! hahaha I just wondered what kind of toys you used on it? Are they the die cast ones or something different? I have to say that we WILL be copying your cake....(if thats ok)! Thanks!! Jami in Cincinnati

Becky said...

Hi Jami! I ordered die cast toys from amazon.com. They came in a pack. They were the perfect size and they are actually really nice toys - heavy and sturdy! Please feel free to copy the cake! The one thing I would do differently if I was to do it again would be to not worry about making it look like the grid stretches over the cake. Just up and down and side to side all the way around. More grid on the top of the layers and then colored piping where I put it. I used electric orange and electric blue from Americolor - you can get them online or at Hobby Lobby. Good luck!!