Sunday, March 6, 2011

Missing Daddy

The kids have been doing really well with Brendan not being here but this weekend has been hard. It's been 3 weeks now and I think it's starting to sink in for them that this is going to be a long road. Aidan's behavior this weekend has been worse than usual and he's been bursting into tears at the drop of a hat. I pulled out these Daddy dolls tonight. I have been waiting to introduce them until I thought that we needed them. The kids got to pick a picture of themselves with Brendan and we printed it out and slipped it inside a little pocket in the face. They were instantly delighted! All of them are sleeping with their Daddy dolls right now and bedtime seemed a little easier than normal tonight - I'd like to think it was thanks to Daddy's face next to them on the pillow.
I'd like to thank both Hugs to Go, the company that makes the dolls, and Operation Give A Hug who provided these dolls to us and over 350,000 other children of soldiers deployed around the world at no cost. Many thanks to Susan Agustin, the founder of Operation Give a Hug who has volunteered her time for the past 8 years to bring comfort to children across the country!

4 comments:

adozeneggs said...

Oh my goodness, that is so sweet. You didn't make those dolls did you?
I'm glad they give the kids a bit of comfort.
I hope the days get easier for them. And you.

Sue said...

Oh, that's perfect. It's what I was trying to do with the picture frames, but the dolls are so much more cuddly! Can't wait to see you all in 10 days. Hugs and kisses all around.

Becky said...

Mom - we did the frames at the same time too. They are in their rooms and Aidan slept with his frame in the bed with him. :(

Matthew, Eve, Noah, Noelle, and Brooke said...

totally in tears over here. How sweet. cant wait for those kiddos to get a great big hug from their brave daddy. you are such a great mom - theyre so lucky to have you.